date format: YYYY-MM-DD | format date: AAAA-MM-DD
"<" - event occurred before date | "<" - événement avant la date
">" means event occurred after date | ">" - événement après la date

The information found on this page have not been completely validated. The information is still valid. All of the consulted sources have simply not yet been published. If you have further information that you are willing to share, contact me via email: Gilles Pinet.
Les informations associées à cette personne n'ont pas encore toutes été validées. Les information demeurent tout de même valides, mais les sources n'ont tout simplement pas encore été publiées. Si vous avez des informations supplémentaires que vous voulez partager, vous pouvez me contacter via courriel: Gilles Pinet.

John P. Leger1,2,3,4,5,6,7

M, n. 1865-08-20, d. 1952-04-17

John P. Leger

(Facebook, posted by René Doucet, 2018-01-25, Bathurst, New Brunswick - Genealogy and old photos)
  • Relationship | lien de parenté: Cousin au 4e degré à 3 générations d'écart de Gilles Pinet
  • (également: Jean Leger.)8
  • John P. Leger est né le 1865-08-20 à Bouctouche, Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.9,8
  • John P. Leger a épousé Marie Leblanc, fille de Maximin Leblanc et Julie Richard, le 1884-11-04 à Bouctouche, Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.
  • John P. Leger a épousé Osithe Cormier, fille de Olivier Cormier et Geneviève LeBlanc, le 1888-04-09 à Saint Jean Baptiste, Bouctouche, Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada; Témoins: Thaddée Cormier (Bouctouche, NB) & Magdelaine Allain (Bouctouche, NB.)8,1,4,5,6,7
  • John P. Leger est décédé le 1952-04-17 à Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.9,10
  • Les funérailles de John P. Leger ont eu lieu 1952-04-18 à Sacré Coeur, Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.10
  • John P. Leger a été inhumé à Cimetière Sainte Thérèse et Sacré Coeur, Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.9

Les enfants de John P. Leger et Marie Leblanc:

Les enfants de John P. Leger et Osithe Cormier:

Biographical information / Informations biographiques

Best known in Bathurst as John Leger, baptized Jean P. Léger, he was born in Bouctouche on April 20, 1865. He was the son of Pierre "Peter" à Etienne and Ursule LeBlanc. Ursule is the sister of Frédéric LeBlanc, grandfather of Bishop Albini LeBlanc, former Bishop of Hearst. John Léger and Monsignor Albini LeBlanc were cousins.

John P. Leger’s father died before December 26, 1877. John’s mother, Ursule, remarried on this day, Marcel Daigle, son of Olivier Daigle and Rosalie Mius. The 1881 census lists John with Marcel and Ursule, he was 15 years old.

November 4th, 1884, he married in Bouctouche, Marie LeBlanc, daughter of Maximin LeBlanc and Julie Richard. Two children were born from this marriage: Pierre “Peter” Léger and Ursule Léger.

April 9th, 1888, he married in Bouctouche, Osithe Cormier, daughter of Olivier Cormier and Geneviève LeBlanc. Eight children were born from this marriage: Hector, Régina, Léo, Marie Eugénie Démerise, Arthur, Alice, Edmond and Elie.

In 1898, John sold his Hotel Queen in Bouctouche to Robert Gallant, to settle in Bathurst, where in March 1898, he bought Aimé Gallant's hotel near the InterColonial Railway station (ICR), at the foot of the College's coast, and he gave it the name of Hotel Leger.

An enterprising man, he endowed his hotel with the latest facilities. Thus, the Moniteur Acadien of June 20, 1899 announced: “(translation) Mr. John P. Léger has just introduced into his hotel an instrument by which all money received during the day is automatically recorded. It is the only instrument of this kind used in the county.” He was the pioneer of cash registers in Gloucester County.

Although his success in the hotel business was exceptional, it was not his greatest distinction.

His first achievement of a community nature took place shortly after his arrival here. The Bathurst trotting park had fallen into disuse and even the fences were about to be removed, when Mr. Leger took hold and after a few hours' work secured the assistance of leading citizens and directed the grading of a race course that for many years after was the scene of notable horse races.

Always a lover of the drama, his next venture was to provide a playhouse suitable for many traveling companies of the time. The only public hall which the town boasted at that time was neither large enough nor properly arranged to accommodate the better class of entertainments. Consequently, Mr. Leger proceeded to erect the commodious and ornate structure called the Opera House, which for many years was the amusement centre of the community.

Then came the enterprise that will make his name secure in Bathurst's history. His fertile mind, always looking for progress, conceived the idea of installing electric light in the town where he was so firmly established. Encouraged and assisted by his intimate friend of many years, the late Hon. P.J. Veniot, he finally decided that the Tetagouche River would provide ample hydro power for the greater part of each year. Some people discouraged him, some scoffed at the proposal and others were willing to let him try if it cost them nothing. So, he proceeded with his dream, gambling all his resources on the first hydro development in this province, if not in the Maritimes. In 1904, the project was completed, and electric current made its appearance in Bathurst, generated from a small plant near Tetagouche Falls. It was some years before Mr. Leger's optimism was fully justified and the enterprise became profitable. Bathurst and its vicinity reaped the greatest advantage of electric light and power and the first real step in the town's modern progress became a reality.

The great achievement did not by any means complete his progressive activities. When motion pictures rose to favor as public entertainment, it was he who equipped and operated the Opera House as Bathurst's first movie theatre, and his son, Peter J. Leger, who managed that enterprise, now the Capitol Theatre, has ever since been one of the leading theatre men of the province. In 1920, Mr. Leger disposed of his interest in Bathurst Electric and Water Power Co. Ltd., to Bathurst Power and Paper Co. Ltd., and a short time later established the Gloucester Hotel.

Always on the lookout for investment in new businesses, the Moniteur Acadien, August 11, 1904, said:

"(translation) Mr. John P. Léger ... is aiming for a new industry for his place of adoption (Bathurst) ... He would be thinking of providing the Village of Bathurst with an improved flour mill and a carding mill that would be driven by the electricity provided by the installed electricity plant for Bathurst lighting. It is said that he is negotiating with Mr. S (ydney) Desbrisay for the purchase of the Petit Rocher flour mill machines he would be transporting to Bathurst ... "

The great success of the electric dam has in no way completed its progressive activities.

Moreover, in March 1903, he acquired a piece of land "where he had to build a 100-by-40-storey, three-storey building, including a public hall of modern architecture, a sample lounge, offices, and so on. ". This is arguably the big building called Opera House on Water Street (now Main Street), Bathurst's main street at the time, which will accommodate a busy modern movie theater near the W J Kent store. When the cinema became a public entertainment, it was he who equipped and operated the Opera as the first Bathurst movie theater, and his son, Peter J. Leger, who ran the company, now the Capitol Theater, was always of the principal theater men of the province.

On March 8, 1911, the Evangeline reported that John P Léger "(translation) must build a new lock on the Tetagouche River for the installation of his new power." The city's population was becoming accustomed to electric lighting and was becoming more and more demanding, so that the low power generated by the first installation no longer met the growing demands for electrical energy. People said that light bulbs did not light up more than old candles.

By the end of December 1912, James Hill's cement lock at Chatham, 270 feet long by 30 feet high with a 62-foot drop, had been completed. The flow valve blasted into the solid rock overlooked a passage between the rocks, which had been opened by the owner of an old mill at the foot of the falls. In 1919, he sold his electric power, which operated under the name of Bathurst Electric and Water Power Co to the Bathurst Mill Company, "(translation) a new company doing gigantic work in the mine village: it is said that the powers will be enough strong enough to send power to Quebec City.

On Monday, May 25, 1908, sparks from the locomotives had set fire to the Intercolonial's freight sheds and coal shed in Bathurst to spread to the Léger Hotel where John was living, causing $ 10,000 in losses.

The case came to court. Mr. Léger demanded $ 7,000 in damages to his house and buildings, while Intercolonial allowed only $ 5,000. The case was appealed and this time the lawyers were more demanding so that in November 1910, he obtained a total compensation of $ 17,000.

Meanwhile the rebuilt hotel was sold to Azade Landry of Moncton who took possession of it on Monday, May 16, 1910. The Leger Hotel was still to be burnt down on February 3, 1915, forcing the occupants to flee running, including the priests Dutour of Paquetville and Jean Doucet of Bathurst who deplored the loss of "(translation) his beautiful fur coat". By launching into the production of an electricity-producing plant, John Léger wanted to be able to supply his businesses: his hotels, his movie theater and a modern bakery where everything is done by means of electricity and for which he had hired at the beginning of December 1920 a baker with 19 years of experience. Its bakery, Leger's Bakery, was in the basement of the Opera House, a novelty at the time. The bakery had its own truck to ensure the delivery of fresh bread throughout the region.

In 1920, Mr. Leger sold his interest in Bathurst Electric and Water Power Co. Ltd. at Bathurst Power and Paper Co. Ltd. and established shortly after the Gloucester Hotel.

This is a brief overview of the many public services that this man, John P. Leger, initiated in and for Bathurst. For his entrepreneurial spirit, John Léger was certainly one of the great promoters of the development of the city of Bathurst at the beginning of the century. He was called "King of Commerce in Bathurst". John died in Bathurst on April 12, 1952 at age 90, with a funeral in the cathedral by Bishop Dosithé Robichaud.

***************
Mieux connu à Bathurst comme John Léger, baptisé Jean P. Léger, il est né à Bouctouche, le 20 avril 1865. Son père était Pierre « Peter » à Etienne Léger et sa mère Ursule LeBlanc, soeur de Frédéric LeBlanc, grand-père de Mgr Albini LeBlanc, ancien évêque de Hearst. John Léger et Mgr Albini LeBlanc étaient donc cousins.

Le père de John P. Leger est décédé avant le 26 décembre 1877. La mère de John, Ursule, s'est remariée ce jour-là. Elle a épousé Marcel Daigle, fils d'Olivier Daigle et de Rosalie Mius. Le recensement de 1881 liste John avec Marcel et Ursule, il avait 15 ans.

Le 4 novembre 1884, il épousait à Bouctouche, Marie LeBlanc, fille de Maximin LeBlanc et Julie Richard. Deux enfants sont nés de ce mariage, Pierre « Peter » Léger et Ursule Léger.

Le 9 avril 1888, il épousait à Bouctouche, Osithe Cormier, fille d’Olivier Cormier et Geneviève LeBlanc. Huit enfants sont nés de ce mariage, Hector, Régina, Léo, Marie Eugénie Démerise, Arthur, Alice, Edmond et Elie.

En 1898, John vendait son Hotel Queen à Bouctouche à Robert Gallant, pour venir s'installer à Bathurst, où en mars 1898 il faisait l'achat de l'hôtel de Aimé Gallant, près de la gare de l’InterColonial Railway (ICR) au pied de la côte du Collège, et il lui donnait le nom d’Hôtel Léger.

Homme entreprenant, il dotait son hôtel des derniers aménagements. Ainsi, le Moniteur Acadien du 20 juin 1899 annonçait: « M. John P. Léger vient d'introduire dans son hôtel un instrument par lequel tout argent reçu dans la journée est enregistré automatiquement. C'est le seul instrument de ce genre en usage dans le comté ». Il était donc le pionnier des caisses enregistreuses dans le comté de Gloucester.

Bien que son succès dans l'hôtellerie fût exceptionnel, ce ne fut pas sa plus grande distinction.

Sa première réalisation de nature communautaire a eu lieu peu de temps après son arrivée ici. Le parc de trotteurs de Bathurst était tombé en désuétude et même les barrières étaient sur le point d'être enlevées. M. Leger a pris le relais et après quelques heures de travail a obtenu l'aide de personnes notables et a supervisé l’installation d’une piste de course. Par la suite, cette piste fut la scène de courses de chevaux notables.

Un amoureux du théâtre, sa prochaine entreprise était de fournir une salle de spectacle adaptée à de nombreuses troupes de théâtre de l'époque. La seule salle publique dont la ville se vantait à cette époque, n'était ni assez grande ni convenablement aménagée pour accueillir les meilleurs artistes. Par conséquent, M. Léger a procédé à l'érection d’une structure pratique et très bien décorée. Cette structure était appelée l’Opera House, qui pendant de nombreuses années était le centre d'amusement de la communauté.

Puis vint l'entreprise qui assurera la sécurité de son nom dans l'histoire de Bathurst. Avec son esprit fertile, il était toujours à la recherche du progrès. Il voulait installer la lumière électrique dans la ville. Encouragé et aidé par son grand ami depuis plusieurs années, le regretté Hon. P.J. Veniot, il estimait que la rivière Tetagouche fournirait suffisamment d'énergie hydraulique pour la plus grande partie de chaque année. Certaines personnes le décourageaient, d'autres se moquaient de la proposition et d'autres étaient prêts à le laisser essayer aussi longtemps que cela ne leur coûterait rien. Il a donc réalisé son rêve en jouant toutes ses ressources sur le premier développement hydroélectrique de cette province, sinon dans les Maritimes. En 1904, le projet fut achevé et le courant électrique apparut à Bathurst, provenant d'une petite usine près de Tetagouche Falls. Quelques années se sont écoulées avant que l'optimisme de M. Leger soit pleinement justifié et que l'entreprise devienne rentable. Bathurst et ses environs ont récolté le plus grand avantage de la lumière et de la puissance électriques et la première vraie étape dans le progrès moderne de la ville est devenue une réalité.

La grande réussite n'a en aucun cas complété ses activités progressistes. Quand le cinéma est devenu un divertissement public, c'est lui qui a équipé et exploité l'Opéra comme le premier cinéma de Bathurst, et son fils, Peter J. Leger, qui dirigeait cette entreprise, maintenant le Théâtre Capitol, a toujours été des principaux hommes de théâtre de la province. En 1920, M. Leger cède sa participation dans Bathurst Electric and Water Power Co. Ltd. à Bathurst Power and Paper Co. Ltd. et, peu de temps après, établit l'hôtel Gloucester.

Toujours à l'affût d'investir dans de nouvelles entreprises, le Moniteur Acadien du 11 août 1904 racontait:

« M. John P. Léger...vise une nouvelle industrie pour sa place d'adoption (Bathurst)...II songerait à doter le Village de Bathurst d'un moulin à farine perfectionné et d'un moulin à carder qui seraient mus par l'électricité fournie par la plante d'électricité installée pour l'éclairage de Bathurst. On dit qu'il est en négociation avec M. S(ydney) Desbrisay pour l'achat des machines du moulin à farine de Petit Rocher qu'il transporterait à Bathurst... »

La grande réussite du barrage électrique n'a en aucun cas complété ses activités progressistes.

D'ailleurs en mars 1903, il acquit un terrain « où il doit construire une bâtisse de 100 pieds sur 40, à trois étages, y comprenant une salle publique d'architecture moderne, de salon d'échantillon, de bureaux, etc. ». C'est sans doute le grand édifice qui s'appellera Opera House sur la rue Water (maintenant rue Main), la rue principale de Bathurst à l'époque et qui accommodera près du magasin de W J Kent une salle de cinéma moderne très fréquentée. Quand le cinéma est devenu un divertissement public, c'est lui qui a équipé et exploité l'Opéra comme le premier cinéma de Bathurst, et son fils, Peter J. Leger, qui dirigeait cette entreprise, maintenant le Théâtre Capitol, a toujours été des principaux hommes de théâtre de la province.

Le 8 mars 1911, l'Évangéline signalait que John P Léger « doit construire une nouvelle écluse sur la rivière Tetagouche pour l'installation de son nouveau pouvoir électrique ». La population de la ville s'habituait maintenant à l'éclairage électrique et devenait de plus en plus exigeante, de sorte que la faible puissance générée par la première installation ne répondait plus aux demandes croissantes d'énergie électrique. Les gens disaient que les ampoules n'éclairaient pas plus que les vieilles chandelles.

A la fin de décembre 1912, l'écluse en ciment construite par James Hill de Chatham mesurant 270 pieds de longueur par 30 pieds de hauteur avec chute de 62 pieds était terminée. La vanne d'écoulement dynamitée dans le roc solide donnait sur un passage entre les rochers, qui avait été ouvert par le propriétaire d'un ancien moulin au pied des chutes. En 1919, il vendit son pouvoir électrique qui opérait sous le nom de Bathurst Electric and Water Power Co à la compagnie du moulin de Bathurst, « une nouvelle compagnie qui fait de gigantesques travaux au village de la mine : on dit que les pouvoirs seront assez forts pour envoyer le courant électrique jusqu'à Québec ».

Le lundi 25 mai 1908, des étincelles des locomotives avaient mis le feu dans les hangars à marchandises et le shed à charbon de l'Intercolonial à Bathurst pour se répandre à l'Hôtel Léger où John demeurait, causant des pertes de 10,000$.

L'affaire dut en venir devant les tribunaux. M. Léger exigeait 7,000$ en dommages à sa maison et ses bâtisses, alors que l'Intercolonial n'admettait de responsabilité que pour 5,000$. L'affaire fut portée en appel et cette fois les avocats se montrèrent plus exigeants de sorte qu'en novembre 1910 il obtenait des dédommagements de 17,000$ en tout.

Entre temps l'hôtel reconstruit était vendu à Azade Landry de Moncton qui en prenait possession le lundi 16 mai 1910. L'Hôtel Léger devait encore passer au feu le 3 février 1915, forçant les occupants à se sauver précipitamment, dont les curés Dutour de Paquetville et Jean Doucet de Bathurst qui déplorait la perte de « son beau capot de fourrure ». En se lançant dans la production d'une usine productrice d'électricité, John Léger voulait être en mesure de bien alimenter ses entreprises: ses hôtels, sa salle de cinéma ainsi qu'une boulangerie des plus moderne dite « boulangerie modèle où tout se fait au moyen de l’électricité » et pour laquelle il avait engagé au début de décembre 1920 un boulanger de 19 ans d'expérience. Sa boulangerie, la Leger's Bakery, était installée dans le sous-sol de l'Opera House, une nouveauté à l'époque. La boulangerie avait son propre camion destiné à assurer partout dans la région la livraison de son pain frais.

En 1920, M. Leger cède sa participation dans Bathurst Electric and Water Power Co. Ltd. à Bathurst Power and Paper Co. Ltd. et établit peu de temps après l'hôtel Gloucester.

Ceci est un bref aperçu des nombreux services publics que cet homme, John P. Leger, a initié dans et pour Bathurst. Pour son esprit d'entreprise, John Léger fut certainement un des grands promoteurs du développement de la ville de Bathurst au début du siècle. On l'a appelé « le roi du commerce à Bathurst ». John mourut à Bathurst le 12 avril 1952 à 90 ans, avec funérailles dans la cathédrale par Mgr Dosithé Robichaud.

SOURCES

Evariste Léger:- Histoire de Saint-Antoine, p 22.
The Gloucester Northern Light: 1915-02-10 p 4; 1938-04-07; 1943-12-30.
L'Evangéline: 1889-06-02 p 3; 1911-03-08; 1915-02-10; 1919-12-15 p 4; 1920-12-09; 1920-12-15 p 3; 1930-06-26 p 5.
Le Courrier des Provinces Maritimes: 1898-03-31; 1903-06-25.
Le Moniteur Acadien: 1898-06-20; 1903-03-30 p 7; 1904-02-04 p 7; 1904-08-11 p 5; 1908-05-28; 1909-06-17; 1910-05-19; 1910-12-01 p 3.
The World, Chatham, 1913-01-08 p 2 c 3; 1911-02-22.
Moncton Daily Times, 1952-04-17, pg 2
The Busy East (1920), p 68.
Registre paroissial: Bouctouche.

Recensement(s)

DatesDetails / Détails
1871Pierre Léger et Ursule Leblanc apparaissent au recensement du Canada de 1871 à Wellington (sous district), Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.2
1881John P. apparaît au recensement du Canada de 1881 à Wellington (sous district), Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada, dans le ménage de Marcel Daigle et Ursule Leblanc, son beau-père et sa mère.3
1891John P. Leger et Osithe Cormier apparaissent au recensement du Canada de 1891 à Wellington (sous district), Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada. Leurs enfants, Pierre Joseph, Marie Ursule, Hector et Régina ont été énumérés avec eux.4
1901John P. Leger et Osithe Cormier apparaissent au recensement du Canada de 1901 à Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada. Leurs enfants, Pierre Joseph, Marie Ursule, Hector, Régina, Léo et Arthur ont été énumérés avec eux La servante, Rosalie Cormier, a aussi été énumérée au sein de cette maisonnée.5
1911John P. Leger et Osithe Cormier apparaissent au recensement du Canada de 1911 à Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada. Leurs enfants, Pierre Joseph, Hector, Léo, Arthur, Edmond J. et Régina ont été énumérés avec eux.6
1921John P. Leger et Osithe Cormier apparaissent au recensement du Canada de 1921 à King Street, Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada. Leurs enfants, Léo ont été énumérés avec eux La domestique, une personne inconnue , a aussi été énumérée au sein de cette maisonnée.7

Chronology / Chronologie

DatesDetails / Détails
1865-08-20John P. Leger est né le 1865-08-20 à Bouctouche, Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.9,8
1884-11-04John P. Leger a épousé Marie Leblanc, fille de Maximin Leblanc et Julie Richard, le 1884-11-04 à Bouctouche, Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.
1888-04-09At thet ime of his marriage to Osithe, he was a farmer. / Au moment de son mariage à Osithe, il était fermier.8
1888-04-09Au moment de son mariage, John P. Leger vivait à Bouctouche, Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.8
1888-04-09John P. Leger a épousé Osithe Cormier, fille de Olivier Cormier et Geneviève LeBlanc, le 1888-04-09 à Saint Jean Baptiste, Bouctouche, Kent, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada; Témoins: Thaddée Cormier (Bouctouche, NB) & Magdelaine Allain (Bouctouche, NB.)8,1,4,5,6,7
1891-__-__The census taker notes that he was a barber. / Le recenseeur a noté qu'il était un barbier.4
1898-03-31'M. John P. Léger, hôtelier de Bouctouche, vient d'acheter l'hôtel de M. Aimé Gallant, de Bathurst. M. Léger prendra possession de son nouvel hôtel au commencement de mai.' / translation: Mr. John P. Léger, a Bouctouche hotelier, has just purchased the hotel of Mr. Aimé Gallant of Bathurst. M. Léger will take possession of his new hotel at the beginning of May.11
1898-05-19'M. J. P. Léger, de Bouctouche, N.B., est parti la semaine dernière pour aller prendre charge du nouvel hôtel qu'il a acheté récemment à Bathurst' / translation: Mr. J. P. Léger, of Bouctouche, NB, left last week to take charge of the new hotel he recently bought in Bathurst.12
1898-06-02'Le 'Queen Hotel' de Bouctouche, autrefois propriété de M. John P. Léger, a été acheté dernièrement par M. Robert Gallant. Le public voyageur trouvera cet hôtel tout le confort désirable.' / translation: The Queen Hotel in Bouctouche, formerly owned by John P. Léger, was recently purchased by Mr. Robert Gallant. The traveling public will find this hotel all the desirable comfort.13
1899-05-04'M. Jaddus N. LeBlanc est arrivé samedi soir d'un voyage à Bathurst, où il était allé dans l'intérêt d'une grosse manufacture d'outil aratoire, dont il vient d'être nommé l'agent pour le comté de Kent. Pendant son séjour à Bathurst M. LeBlanc a été l'hôte de M. John P. Léger, propriétaire du Leger Hotel. Il nous dit que M. Leger fait de très bonnes affaires à Bathurst.' / translation: Mr. Jaddus N. LeBlanc arrived Saturday night for a trip to Bathurst, where he was representing the interest of a large farming tool factory, of which he has just been named the representative for Kent County. While in Bathurst, Mr. LeBlanc was the guest of Mr. John P. Léger, owner of Leger Hotel. He tells us that Mr. Leger is doing very good business in Bathurst.14
1899-05-24'M. François X. LeBlanc, employé dans les bureaux du l'I.C.R., Moncton, est venu passer le jour du 24 mai chez M. John P. Léger.' / translation: Mr. François X. LeBlanc, employed in the offices of the I.C.R., Moncton, came to spend the day of May 24 with Mr. John P. Léger.15
1899-06-22'M.J.P. Léger vient d'introduire dans son hôtel un instrument par lequel tout argent reçu dans la journée est enregistré automatiquement. C'est le seul instrument de ce genre en usage dans notre comté.' / translation: Mr.J.P. Léger has just introduced into his hotel an instrument by which all money received in the day is automatically recorded. It is the only instrument of this kind in use in our county.16
1899-07-10At time of the death of his daughter Alice, he was the owner of the Leger hotel. / Au moment du décès de sa fille Alice, il était le propriétaire de l'hôtel Léger.17
1899-07-20'L'hôtel Leger est sans contredit la meilleure place où puissent s'arrêter les voyageurs. Elle est seulement à deux pas de la station; la pension est des meilleurs et tous ceux qui s'y arrêtent sont satisfaits.' / translation: The Leger Hotel is without a doubt the best place where travelers can stop. It is only two steps from the station; the pension is the best and everyone who stops there is satisfied.18 '
1901-__-__The census taker noted that he was a hotel keeper. / Le recenseeur a noté qu'il était un hôtelier.5
1903-11-01At the time of his son Joseph Edmund's birth, he was a Hotel Keeper. / Au moment de la naissance de son fils Joseph Edmund, il était un hôtelier.19
1905-__-__The first Leger Hotel. / Le premier Hôtel Léger.20
The Leger Hotel ca 1905. Found at the Bathurst Heritage Museum. This would be the first Leger hotel.

(Facebook poasted 2015-05-25 by Rene Doucet - Bathurst, NB - Genealogy and old photos)
1905-12-19At the time of his son Joseph Elie's birth, he was a Hotel Keeper. / Au moment de la naissance de son fils Joseph Elie, il était un hôtelier.21
1910-__-__John P. Leger family (ca 1910). / Famille John P. Leger (env. 1910.)22
John P. Leger family (ca 1910)

front (left to right): Osithe, Edmond, Peter, John
back (left to right): Régina, Arthur, Hector, Leo and Marie-Ursule

(posted by René Doucet in the "Bathurst, NB - Genealogy and old photos" group - 2018-06-16)
1911-__-__The trade or occupation that was noted by the census taker is not legible./ Le métier que le recenseur a noté n'est pas lisible.6
1911-03-08'Nos félicitations à M. John P. Léger sur son nouveau projet - Il doit construire une nouvelle écluse sur la rivière Tétagouche, pour l'installation de son nouveau pouvoir électrique. Quoique nous avons déjà critiqué M. Leger dans le service de lumière qu'il donne à la ville, nous ne pouvons que l'admirer dans ses entreprises; il est courageux, et ne recule devant aucun obstacle. S'il y avait parmi nos hommes d'affaires une dizaine comme M. Léger, notre ville ferait vite du progrès. Mais hélas, ils ont peur, peur de perdre les quelques piastes qui les attachent à la terre.' / translation: Congratulations to Mr. John P. Léger on his new project - He must build a new dam on the Tetagouche River for the installation of his new electric power. Although we have already criticized M. Leger in the service of light which he gives to the city, we can only admire him in his undertakings; he is courageous, and does not recoil before any obstacle. If there were among our businessmen a dozen like Mr. Léger, our city would soon make progress. But alas, they are afraid, afraid to lose the few dollars that tie them to this earth.23
1916-09-05H M Kent Store invoice from Bathurst Electric & Water Power Co for electricity./ Facture à H M Kent Store pour de l'électricié de la part de Bathurst Electric & Water Power Co.24
Early power bill, 1916! H. M. Kent store was on the other side of the street from the W.J. Kent store. Not much electricity used, I'm guessing mostly for lights?

(Facebook, 2018-01-23, posted by René Doucet, Bathurst, NB - Genealogy and old photo)
1919-__-__Back in 1919, J P Leger and son established a bakery on Water Street in Bathurst./ En 1919, J P Leger et son fils ont établi une boulangerie sur Water Street à Bathurst.
1921-__-__The trade or occupation that was noted by the census taker is not legible./Le métier que le recenseur a noté n'est pas lisible.7
1927-__-__Opera House in 1927.25
Opera House
Decorated for the 60th anniversary of Canada, in 1927

(Facebook, posted by René Doucet 2017-06-30, Bathurst, NB - Genealogy and old photo)
1932-__-__John P. Leger et Osithe Cormier vivaient à Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.26
1952-04-17John P. Leger est décédé le 1952-04-17 à Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.9,10
1952-04-18Les funérailles de John P. Leger ont eu lieu 1952-04-18 à Sacré Coeur, Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.10
John P. Leger a été inhumé à Cimetière Sainte Thérèse et Sacré Coeur, Bathurst, Gloucester, Nouveau Brunswick, Canada.9

Sources

  1. [S15054] John Leger, Certificat de décès. 2341. (1852-04-16). F20831. Copie se retrouve: http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141C5.aspx
  2. [S15055] Recensement du Canada - 1871, Ménage de Peter Légere, Microfilm: F-10391, NB, E2 (Wellington), 185 (Kent), page 30, ligne 20;1-2, ménage 80, Bibliothèques et Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1871/Pages/item.aspx), Peter Légere (34a); Ursule Légere (27a); John Légere (6a).
  3. [S15058] Recensement du Canada - 1881, Ménage de Marcel Daigle, Microfilm: C-13185, NB, F3 (Wellington), 34 (Kent), page 5, ligne 19-23, ménage 15, Bibliothèques et Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1881/Pages/item.aspx), Marcel Daigle (31a), Ursule Daigle (38a), Jean Léger (15a), Grégoire LeBlanc (74a), Anselme LeBlanc (36a).
  4. [S15060] Recensement du Canada - 1891, Ménage de John Léger, Microfilm: C-6300, NB, J2 (Wellington), 15 (Kent), page 18&19, ligne 23-25;1-3, ménage 68, source inconnue repository (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1891/Pages/item.aspx), John Leger ( 26a), Ositte Leger (W 25a), Peter Leger (S 5a), Mary Leger (D 3a), Ector Leger (S 2a), Regana Leger (D 8/12a).
  5. [S15062] Recensement du Canada - 1901, Ménage de John P Leger, Microfilm: T-6440, NB, Bathurst, A3 (Bathurst), 16 (Gloucester), page 14, ligne 10-18, demeure 103, ménage 122, Bibliothèques et Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1901/Pages/item.aspx), John P Leger (Head 35a), Osite Leger (Wife 34a), Pierre Leger (Son 15a), Marie Leger (Daughter 13a), Hector Leger (Son 12a), Regina Leger (Daughter 10a), Leo Leger (Son 7a), Arthur Leger (Son 5a), Rosalie Cormier (Servant 38a).
  6. [S15063] Recensement du Canada - 1911, Ménage de John Léger, Microfilm: T-20350, NB, Bathurst, 5 (Bathurst), 27 (Gloucester), page 20, ligne 23-30, demeure 172, ménage 188, Bibliothèques et Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1911/Pages/item.aspx), John Leger (Head 46a), Osite Leger (Wife 45a), Pierre Leger (Son 25a), Hector Leger (Son 22a), Leo Leger (Son 18a), Arthur Leger (Son 15a), Edmond Leger (Son 7a), Regina Leger (Daughter 20a).
  7. [S15068] Recensement du Canada - 1921, Ménage de John P Leger, NB, Bathurst, 7 (Bathurst), 42 (Gloucester), page 11, ligne 33-36, demeure 99, ménage 114, Bibliothèques et Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1921/Pages/item.aspx), John P Leger (Head 56a), Osite Leger (Wife 55a), Leo Leger (Son 27a), Josephine Landry (Domestic 23a).
  8. [S13004] Archives provinciales du Nouveau-Brunswick, "SD141 Statistiques de l'état civil", base de données, index des mariages du N.-B. (http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141B7.aspx consulté le 2015-10-17, Microfilm: F13380, No. d'enregistrement: 21, Jean Leger & Osithe Cormier, (1888-04-09).
  9. [S713] John P. Leger et Mrs John P. Leger, cimetière St Theresa's Roman Catholic and New Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bathurst, NB, photographié par Gilles Pinet le 2005-07-29 (John P Leger et Mrs. John Leger).
  10. [S5861] Pioneer Bathurst Utilities and Entertainment Dies Bathurst, Moncton Daily Times, Moncton, NB, April 17, 1952, pg 2.
  11. [S15047] Nouvelles Locales - Nouveau Brunswick, Evangéline, Weymouth, N.É., 1898-03-31, pg 3, col. 3.
  12. [S15048] Nouvelles Locales - Nouveau Brunswick, Evangéline, Weymouth, N.É., 1898-05-19, pg 3, col. 3.
  13. [S15049] Nouvelles Locales - Nouveau Brunswick, Evangéline, Weymouth, N.É., 1898-06-02, pg 3, col. 2.
  14. [S15053] Nouvelles Locales - Nouveau Brunswick, Evangéline, Weymouth, N.É., 1899-05-04, pg 3.
  15. [S15052] Nouvelles Locales - Nouveau Brunswick, Evangéline, Weymouth, N.É., 1899-06-01, pg 2 col 4.
  16. [S15051] Nouvelles Locales - Nouveau Brunswick, Evangéline, Weymouth, N.É., 1899-06-22, pg 2 col 5.
  17. [S15090] Alice Léger - nécrologie, Evangéline, Moncton, NB, 1899-07-20, pg 3.
  18. [S15050] Nouvelles Locales - Nouveau Brunswick, Evangéline, Weymouth, N.É., 1899-07-20, pg 3 col 3.
  19. [S15089] Joseph Edmund Leger, Archives provinciales du Nouveau-Brunswick , Microfilm: F19001, No. d'enregistrement: 4312, (1903-11-01), index d'enregistrement des naissances de la province (http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141A5.aspx), consulté le 2018-06-19.
  20. [S15093] René Doucet, "Bathurst, New Brunswick - Genealogy and old photos”, post, Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/21078059944: accessed 2018-06-21), Leger Hotel.
  21. [S15088] Joseph Elie Leger, Archives provinciales du Nouveau-Brunswick , Microfilm: F19007, No. d'enregistrement: 4397, (1905-12-19), index d'enregistrement des naissances de la province (http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141A5.aspx), consulté le 2018-06-19.
  22. [S15064] "Bathurst, New Brunswick - Genealogy and old photos”, group, Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/21078059944/: accessed 2018-06-17), John Leger.
  23. [S15092] De Nos Centres Acadiens - Bathurst, Evangéline, Moncton, NB, 1911-03-08, pg 8 col 4.
  24. [S15091] René Doucet, "Bathurst, New Brunswick - Genealogy and old photos”, post, Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/21078059944: accessed 2018-06-20), Bathurst Electric & Water Power Co. invoice.
  25. [S15094] René Doucet, "Bathurst, New Brunswick - Genealogy and old photos”, post, Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/21078059944: accessed 2018-06-22), Opera House.
  26. [S3784] Mrs. Phillip Cormier - obituary, Moncton Daily Times, Moncton, NB, July 25 1932, pg 7;Moncton Daily Times Moncton, NB
    Monday, July 25th, 1932 pg 7

    Mrs. Phillip Cormier Buctouche, July 24 -
    Mrs. Phillip Cormier, of St. Gregoire, Near Buctouche, died recently after a long illness. Mrs. Cormier was highly esteemed. She was formerly Miss Rosalie Cormier and was a native of St. Gregoire. She leaves to mourn her husband, six adopted children, Mrs. Amedee Gosselin (Aurelie), Moncton; Mrs. Tilmon Cormier (Sara), Fox Creek; Leo Cormier, St. Gregoire; Henry Cormier, Gardner, Mass.; Odilon Cormier and Miss Edmee Cormier, both at home; three sisters, Miss Celina Cormier, St. Gregoire; Mrs. John Leger, Bathurst, and Mrs. Daniel Nowlan, St. Mary, Kent Co., and two brothers, Thaddee and Richard Cormier, both of St. Gregoire. The funeral at the Church of St. John the Baptist, Buctouche, was attended by many relatives and friends. A high mass of requiem was sung by the pastor, Rev. Father Phillip Hebert. The pallbearers were Henry Cormier, Leo Cormier, Odilon Cormier, Alfred Cormier, Hector Cormier and Edmund Cormier, all relatives. Interment was at St. John the Baptist cemetery. There were numerous spiritual remembrances.
  27. [S15065] Pierre Leger, Certificat de décès. 2707. (1963-05-10). F20886. Copie se retrouve: http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141C5.aspx
  28. [S8207] L. J. Leger - obituary, Moncton Times, Moncton, NB, February 7, 1977, pg 3.
  29. [S4998] Dr. Edmond J. Leger - funeral, Northern Light, Bathurst, NB, 1981-07-29;see/ oir aussi: Edmond Leger - obituary, Moncton Times, Moncton, NB, 1981-07-21, pg 11.
  30. [S11118] Archives provinciales du Nouveau-Brunswick, "SD141 Statistiques de l'état civil", base de données, index des mariages du N.-B. ), Microfilm: F15976, No. d'enregistrement: 2339, Hector Léger & Alice Elizabeth Martin, (1918-11-02).
  31. [S15102] Hector Léger, Certificat de décès. 9918. (1923-07-10). F18912. Copie se retrouve: http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141C5.aspx
  32. [S3127] Mme J. Aurèle Alain - nécrologie, Evangéline, Moncton, NB, 1974-12-27, pg 2;voir aussi: Mrs. J. A. Alain - obituary, Moncton Times, Moncton, NB, 1974-12-27, pg 3.
  33. [S15] Registre de la paroisse Saint-Charles Borromée d'Amherst, NE , microfilmé par R. LeBlanc, microfilmé en août 2000; Centre d'études acadiennes Anselme Chiasson.
Tous les efforts sont faites pour faciliter la lecture des informations généalogiques. Pour l'instant, ces informations sont affichées en français. Je suis à chercher une solution pour rendre le site bilingue.
All efforts are made to facilitate the reading of the genealogical information. For now, this information is displayed in French. I'm looking for a solution to make the site bilingual.